Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Welcome to JC's Wild Kingdom

A few weeks ago I migrated from the basement and have been working by a bay window that looks into the backyard. From my vantage point I've seen a lot of different animals in the back yard. Squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, cardinals, blue jays, and a bunch of other birds I can't name. At night, the more interesting characters come out to play. A large prehensile-tailed marsupial, aka opossum, sets off the flood lights in the back yard. A few others that do this are a racoon and an assortment of neighborhood cats. There is also a skunk that makes the rounds, but I haven't seen it in a while.

One of our favorite visitors I hadn't seen this spring is the neighborhood fox. This morning, just a little bit ago, it made an appearance in our back yard. The fox trotted back and forth a few times along the back fence line, looked at me, taunted me, then squeezed under the fence and ran off across the neighbor's yard. I've also seen the fox jump OVER the privacy fence. I managed to snap a picture of it before it took off, but since it is so early, there isn't much good light outside and the shutter speed was less than optimal. With the fox roaming around, maybe the rabbits will keep their distance. One can only hope.

2 comments:

Sarah Oman said...

Still, a pretty good pic.

Rach said...

We have a neighborhood fox too. I think he is cool, and as long as he leaves my little weenie dog alone, we will get along just fine!!