Thursday, March 23, 2006

Da Plane! Da Plane!

Ever since I was a little kid I've wanted a remote control airplane. This past summer I got one. I bought a nice six channel Futaba Radio and decided to start out with an electric airplane. I purchased a slow stick. It's a 3 channel airplane. That means that one channel is for speed, one is for rudder, and one for elevator. It wasn't too difficult to learn to fly it although I have crashed it several times and probably snapped half a dozen props. They are easy to replace and are less than $2 each.

I chose electric because 1) it was cheaper and cleaner and quieter than gas and 2) when (not if) I crash it, no big deal. It's so light that it usually isn't damaged and if it is, I can repair it, and 3) I can fly it anywhere, anytime. You can fly most electric airplanes anywhere there's enough room. I usually go to an open field at the edge of my neighborhood to fly.

I haven't flown for a while because the weather has been either too cold or too windy. Usually both. I did try to fly when it was borderline too windy and had an awesome crash. My plane flew for about 4 seconds until the wind slapped it right back into the pavement. That did some good damage and took some fixing.

Now that spring is here I'll be getting back into the flying and maybe get a new airplane, something like a Piper Cub or maybe even a Sportster. We'll see what happens.

No comments: